We lead the world in solving humanity’s most pressing problems through the application of nanotechnology.
In Professor Smalley’s words:
Rice’s research reputation comes from solving the hardest problems in science. Others can work on the easy ones, the applied problems. Focus on the grand challenges, the holy grails in nanotechnology. Don’t be distracted by the other things!
To actively support and promote researchers using nanotechnology to tackle civilization’s grand challenges – energy, water, environment, disease, education – by providing experienced and knowledgeable leadership, a solid administrative framework, world-class scientific infrastructure, and productive community, industry, and government relations.
Goals for the Next 10 Years:
- Double the value of the scientific infrastructure
- Launch a Nanotechnology for Energy Center
- Launch a K-∞ NanoEducation Center
- Quadruple the Smalley-Curl innovation fund
- Triple membership in the NanoFANS, Smalley Student Society, and Corporate Affiliates programs
- Provide endowed Smalley Institute faculty chairs, post-doctoral fellowships, graduate student scholarships, and undergraduate research awards
Web site: cnst.rice.edu/content.aspx?id=160&ekmensel=c580fa7b_26_28_btnlink