Paul S. Hunter
Partner and member, Intellectual Property Department, Green Energy Technologies Practice, Electronics Practice, and Nanotechnology Industry Teams
Paul Hunter is a partner with Foley & Lardner LLP and a member of the firm’s Electronics Practice.
Mr. Hunter has extensive experience in patent strategy and counseling. He has developed patent portfolios at small and large companies, provided patent opinion and litigation analysis, and aided companies in dealing with patent enforcement companies, sometimes referred to as “patent trolls.”
His technical skills include a wide range of electronics and computer technologies, including telecom, computer software and hardware, semiconductor devices and fabrication processes, and medical devices.
In 1995, Mr. Hunter received a Bachelors of Science with honors in electrical and computer engineering from Brigham Young University (BYU). He received his Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree in 1998 from the University of Michigan Law School. At Michigan, he was an executive editor of the first exclusively on-line law review, the Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review.
Mr. Hunter lectures to universities, law schools, conferences, professional organizations and corporations. He has served in a number of leadership positions with the American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association (AIPLA), and currently is the chair of the AIPLA Licensing and Management of IP Assets Committee.
Mr. Hunter has been named to the list of Wisconsin Super Lawyers Rising Stars by Law & Politics Media, Inc. He is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and is fluent in Spanish.
- “Last Chance to Expand Patent Coverage?” IP Law 360, June 11, 2007
- “Peer-Reviewed Patent Applications: A Quixotic Undertaking,” The National Law Journal, March 19, 2007
- “Patent Troll Ahead,” Waters Magazine, Oct. 1, 2006
- “Overcoming Patent Infringement Allegations,” Aspatore Books, 2004, ISBN 1-59622-028-7
- “Dealing with Allegations of Patent Infringement,” Venture Capital Journal, September 1, 2004
- “Seven Habits of Successful Patenting” presented at ”Patenting Business Methods in the Financial Industry” conference in 2004
- “The Amazon Ruling,” in The National Law Journal, p. B7, March 26, 2001 (Article on the effects of Federal Circuit decision in the Amazon.com “One-Click” patent case)
View Confimed Speakers