Research and development in materials science and technology. Actually more than 500 associated researchers are involved in the field of nanotechnology and nanostructured materials. Research areas include molecular machines, nanocomposites, nanoporous materials, biomaterials, materials for electronics and photonics, structural materials and protective coatings (thin, thick films) for wear and corrosion resistance.
INSTM is a research consortium of 47 Italian Universities with 1900 university researchers active in the field of Materials Science and Technology. Main activities are:
- INSTM promotes the development of scientific collaborations between the partners Universities and other private or public bodies, both national and international, with activities in the field of Materials Science and Technology;
- INSTM puts at the partner’s University disposal equipments and laboratories to train PhD students and support researcher’s activities;
- INSTM promotes, also through PhD and post-doc scholarships, training of specialists on science, technological developments and applications of Materials Science and Technology;
- INSTM starts technology transfer of the research activities results to the industries;
- INSTM cares, in collaboration with industries, the realization of technologically advanced instrumentation and of innovative production processes, executes studies and searches upon commitment of public Administrations, private and public organizations, and supplies to the above opinions and support on problems relating the Science and Technology of Materials;
- INSTM stipulates agreements with CNR (National Research Council) and other public or private national and international agencies or bodies that operate in the fields of interest of the Consortium and joins other Consortia having analogous interests and scopes;
- INSTM it takes part to the study, to the realization, management and coordination of scientific initiatives in the within of national plans and of international cooperation plans and agreements.